Faire And Con Experiences
Ashe
 Posted: 30th May 2016, 5:54 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

What are your best and/or worst experiences at faires, conventions and meetups?

I think that one of my most treasured experiences what the very first time I went to a renaissance faire back when I was six or so. I fell completely in love with how magical and real everything was, and I think that was what sparked my love for the fantasy world. I'll always remember being given a swan-shaped hairpiece by a beautiful fairy that I still have today, it was mind-blowing for a girl my age.

However last year, I was in a Madoka Magica cosplay group with a couple of friends and went to my first geeky convention, ALA. We got there and were instantly asked for pictures - something I was not expecting! We posed a bit and more people began to take pictures. I think it was about twenty minutes that we were there posing and I truly loved every second of it. I think it was the fun and excitement of that which made me really love and appreciate costume-making.

Now the most recent faire that I went to was a little interesting. It was the very first renaissance faire that was held in my hometown (which was quite a marvel considering that our town is so small). I prepped all week and created a brand new faun costume with horns and flowers, but when I woke up that morning, it was pouring rain! Unfortunately it rained all day, but that didn't stop me or Saelyyia. We were able to meet in person for the first time which was so much fun. We took a lot of pictures near the water and were able to meet a lot of lovely fae and renaissance folk. http://i.imgur.com/VHksnm1.gif

What favorite experiences do you have to share?

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood faerie

Administrator Account - Have a question? Need some help?
Private message or email me!
PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 31st May 2016, 10:25 AM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
267 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

I haven't been to any Cons, but I grew up going to faire almost every year from the time I was born. It is always such a wonderful experience. Back then I used to dress much more historically accurate but as I have gotten older I have given into my whimsical nature and let my inner fae run free... http://i.imgur.com/VHksnm1.gif Usually when I am working events I have a great time. Lots of laughing and getting into "Mischief". I'm not sure who has the most fun: The parents/adults, the children, or myself and my fellow fae.

Traditionally it has just been my cousin, Kasstle, and myself who are out and about in costume. We even go to the farmers market in full fairy sometimes http://i.imgur.com/BhkEP7T.gif But lately I have had such a great time making new fae friends and introducing some of my other friends to the world of fae and it has really upped to fun for events. Like Setorin mentioned, we actually got to meet this year at a local faire and it was great. We got to prance around, take pictures, and play in the scenery. Plus we met the sweetest little one who called us all "fairy" and every time she saw us got this huge grin and would yell "Hi fairy" at us and wave excitedly. It was a small faire, but it made it less over whelming, which I would have to say is the one downside I find at larger faires. I tend to get swamped and over run. I felt really bad this year at the SoCal Pleasure Faire because my group kept getting stopped for long periods of time so that people and photographers could take pictures of my costume or with me. I love getting pictures taken, but I know that my boyfriend got a little frustrated when it took us over an hour to get from the front to the food court because I ran into several groups of people visiting from other countries that wanted to take lots of photos. And at that point it can be a little much for me to have 20 people all trying to get a picture and no "way out" of the crowd so to speak. I'm a pretty shy person socially at times due to anxiety. (It isn't as bad when I am in character, but it is still there)

--------------------
~~~ Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic ~~~

PMEmailWebsite
^
Nightshade
 Posted: 1st June 2016, 11:47 AM
Nursery Rhyme
21 posts
Joined 1.Apr.16
N/A

I'm a cosplayer myself so I have been to a handful of conventions. I always loved designing costumes and dressing up, I would dress up to see movies that would come out and that got the first reaction of people complimenting me and wanting to take photos with me.

I grew up in the same city as Scarbrough but never went until I was 17 or 18...It was so magical. I had always loved fairies and then I saw Twig and was just in love with realistic wings. I saw a whole group dressed as fauns and a centaur and it just blew my mind.

Conventions have been a nice experience, people complimenting and appreciating the costumes I build and having an instant conversation starter to meet new people. It was so stunning to find an entire community of people who wanted to dress up and make things and like all the things I liked. My first convention was a great experience of acceptance and feeling like lots and lots of people are into all of the so called "childish" things I'm into.
PM
^
NamelessBaroness
 Posted: 2nd June 2016, 9:38 AM
Nursery Rhyme
15 posts
Joined 7.Feb.16
N/A

I think my best memory of being at a faire was one of the greatest compliments I could have received. A little girl, maybe five or six, marched right up to me in my fire faerie costume and announced, "YOU'RE PRETTY! You look just like Twig!" My little fae heart just went ::EEEEeeEEEeeeeEEEeeeeEEeeeEE::
[align=left][/align]
I'm not sure about worst. Most of my experiences have been overwhelmingly positive. I mean, there's always the jerky pre-teen showing off for their friends and being a butt. And the occasional obstinate jerkwad trying to pull your wings off (which is why mine are put on with magnets, so they come off without damage and I can pop them back on effortlessly!) But I feel like those are more of a hazard than specific bad experiences.

--------------------
~The Nameless Baroness
PM
^
Ashe
 Posted: 2nd June 2016, 2:08 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

QUOTE (NamelessBaroness @ 2nd June 2016, 8:38 AM)
And the occasional obstinate jerkwad trying to pull your wings off (which is why mine are put on with magnets, so they come off without damage and I can pop them back on effortlessly!) But I feel like those are more of a hazard than specific bad experiences.

NamelessBaroness, that magnetic wing idea is smart! How well do they stay on? Can you move around and dance well enough without having to worry about them popping off?

I have a new (secret!) costume that I am working on which I feel might attract some people who will want to prove that I'm not real. What makes matters wore is that my vision and hearing will be limited (no peripheral vision and it's like I'm wearing light ear muffs. I hope I won't have to report back to this thread and say that I had a bad experience! To be honest though, I think that I will get a lot of positive feedback when I take it to faires and conventions, however ;)

I've personally never had a bad experience at a con or faire. I hope it stays that way http://i.imgur.com/VHksnm1.gif

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood faerie

PMEmail
^
NamelessBaroness
 Posted: 3rd June 2016, 10:07 AM
Nursery Rhyme
15 posts
Joined 7.Feb.16
N/A

QUOTE (Setorin @ 2nd June 2016, 4:08 PM)
QUOTE (NamelessBaroness @ 2nd June 2016, 8:38 AM)
And the occasional obstinate jerkwad trying to pull your wings off (which is why mine are put on with magnets, so they come off without damage and I can pop them back on effortlessly!)

NamelessBaroness, that magnetic wing idea is smart! How well do they stay on? Can you move around and dance well enough without having to worry about them popping off?

I'm using version 2.0 right now. I have plans to make 3.0 even better! I have 100lb magnets built directly into the wing, between the membranes, and wear a harness under my clothes with 120 lb magnets in pockets on my back. They stay on quite well. Version 2.0 have never fallen off of their own accord (and sometimes I have trouble getting them off!) They are "relaxed" wings, that I wear down my back, instead of sticking out or up, but I LIKE that. I don't have to worry about whacking people! I'm pretty sure I could make up versions, too!

--------------------
~The Nameless Baroness
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Blather & Babble | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

©