Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Making Harpy Wings, My adventures in creating feather wings
Ashe
 Posted: 13th April 2015, 7:29 AM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

Hey, harpy or faerie, wings are still wings. For anyone unaware of what a harpy is, here ya go. Harpy

Harpies may be considered monsters, but I am definitely much more civilized (and attractive) than the scoundrels you may often come across. My race of harpies have even been considered winged elves and other forms of fae.

That backstory aside, I plan on making harpy wings, and maybe working on a full harpy costume once I get my mermaid stuff out of the way. I have my design and mechanisms all worked out, and it's fairly simple. The wings will be directly attached to my arms and I'll try to make little peekholes for my hands incase I quickly need to use them for something. I will likely use real feathers for the coverts, and foam feathers for the larger primary and secondaries. The wings will be able to open and close individually just like a real bird's.

Truthfully, I don't know how active I'll be with this project, as I am usually very busy. That being said, I'm posting here to get motivation because I am very excited for this project http://i.imgur.com/fcfBcpz.gif

See ya!

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood faerie

Administrator Account - Have a question? Need some help?
Private message or email me!
PMEmail
^
Nyx
 Posted: 13th April 2015, 8:13 AM
Nursery Rhyme
8 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
NC, USA

Oh oh oh! That's super exciting!
I don't think I've seen many Harpy wings around. A couple of angels here and there, and a few furry bird suits but not much else.
Do you have a bird you're going to base it off particularly?

--------------------
user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Ashe
 Posted: 13th April 2015, 4:27 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

As for color and patterns, I'm not too sure. Definitely something natural with browns, tan and white. For shape, I'm deciding between crow and hawk or eagle. I've seen a really nice template for crow wings floating around so I may use a few stencils from that http://i.imgur.com/fcfBcpz.gif

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Ashe
 Posted: 15th November 2015, 7:02 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

FANTASTIC. It's been long enough but I am actually taking the plunge and getting to work on these babies! To prove it, I ordered some materials that will hopefully come in later this week and have all of my measurements. I'll post everything here like a little journal, though I know the forum may not be active for a bit. Enjoy the spam.

I know a little bit about bird anatomy so I will often use terms to describe feathers that may get confusing. Here is a little diagram if you want to keep track of whatever the heck I'm saying.

So I'm definitely still in the designing phase as far as colors go...
I am totally in love with this wing's colors. The gradient from brown to gray is super pretty, but I will likely add more brownish tones to the primary feathers.
user posted image

And this was the wing I used to base my feather shape and wing size off of
user posted image

Alright and this is how it should look like. I took away a couple of feathers because there would be an overcrowding issue, so each line indicates the shaft of a feather. The green dot is my hinge mechanism to allow the primary feathers to fan out and the yellow line is what my secondaries will be attached to.
user posted image

Alright and here are my measurements subject to change as I may make them a bit larger...

Primaries:
1. 13 in
2. 31 in
3. 37 in
4. 40 in
5. 37 in
6. 35 in
7. 30 in
8. 27 in
9. 24 in
10. 24 in
11. 20 in
12. 22 in

Secondaries
1. 17 in
2. 21 in
3. 22 in
4. 23 in
5. 22 in
6. 19 in
7. 17 in

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Nyx
 Posted: 15th November 2015, 11:48 PM
Nursery Rhyme
8 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
NC, USA

Oh awesome! Will you be using your hands to fan it out?

--------------------
user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Ashe
 Posted: 16th November 2015, 11:30 AM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

Yes and no... So there will be a little ring hinge which the primaries will attach to. These will move like a fan which I will control with my hand. I will only need to grasp the top feather to move it as they will all be connected with a discreet string mechanism.
I've seen some people make wing prototypes where each feather was actually an extension of their fingers, but I wasn't a fan of this as I wouldn't have full use of my hands if needed.

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Ashe
 Posted: 17th November 2015, 10:46 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

Patiently waiting for my materials to come in... May try to run out and grab some cardboard sheets and make feather stencils.
I've been thinking about this project a whole lot and I am so excited. I went to a ten faire this weekend and got this beautiful wait bag for my birthday, it is definitely something that I am going to base the rest of the costume off of! I have so many ideas http://i.imgur.com/fcfBcpz.gif

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 18th November 2015, 11:24 AM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
267 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

I am so excited to see progress pictures as you work your way through these. I have yet to see anyone attempt something like this and it just looks so cool.

Also the faire in Simi? I usually go to that one every year but I was stuck home this year working on a dress.

--------------------
~~~ Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic ~~~

PMEmailWebsite
^
Ashe
 Posted: 18th November 2015, 2:39 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

QUOTE (Saelyyia @ 18th November 2015, 10:24 AM)
I am so excited to see progress pictures as you work your way through these. I have yet to see anyone attempt something like this and it just looks so cool.

Also the faire in Simi? I usually go to that one every year but I was stuck home this year working on a dress.

I have a tutorial that I based my idea off of, but I mainly changed the hand-to-wing connection as I want to be easily able to use my hands if needed. It's hard to explain, but my hands will be invisible when I'm flapping around!

Nottingham? Yep that would be the one! This was my first year going and I thought it was such a fun little festival. Sadly, we got rained out http://i.imgur.com/lG5PdYK.gif Definitely gave me so many ideas for my persona and the fae community in general!

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 18th November 2015, 3:07 PM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
267 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

Yep, thats the one. Its always fun. Perhaps we can get a fae meetup going at it next year.

--------------------

PMEmailWebsite
^
Ashe
 Posted: 20th November 2015, 4:31 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

And my elastic and clips came in today so I can work on these while I'm on break! I also have plans for costume and makeup... I haven't been this excited about a costume project for a long time!!

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 20th November 2015, 4:40 PM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
267 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

Oh that is awesome! Both that your materials came in and your enthusiasm. Will you be posting progress pictures as you go or will it be a big reveal towards the end?

--------------------

PMEmailWebsite
^
Ashe
 Posted: 20th November 2015, 4:50 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

I'll probably post progress pictures but I think that as everything really starts to come together I'll have to leave you all in suspense until I can really show it off ;)

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Ashe
 Posted: 16th January 2016, 3:41 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

Alright, going to try and get some work done today on my who outfit in general. I'm with a friend and we are spending the afternoon working on cosplays! Harness is looking good, I'll still need to find the correct gauge and material of wire for the feather shafts before I can really start progressing.

Also, Photobucket was being weird and now my reference photos that I posted here are gone hmmm. I'll have to work on that ;)

--------------------

PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 2nd February 2016, 10:38 AM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
267 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

Hey girl, got any progress pics to share? How goes the wing making? Hope its going well.

--------------------

PMEmailWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Wings | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

©