New Poll

Dragonfly Wings, Making large wings that are stable
Brush Fairy
 Posted: 15th April 2015, 5:15 PM
Nursery Rhyme
4 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Arizona

Hi everyone! I'm getting my fae persona together and I have always wanted dragonfly wings, very large ones. But the one thing keeping me from making them, along with the fear of screwing up my first pair of wings, is that with wings so large, there will be no way to keep them stable with the method I want to use to make them (poster board and film)
I want wings like this
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
But about as long as to the back of my knee or maybe mid thigh length.
I didn't want to put any wire in the wings because I wanted them to sway in the wind and when I moved and I didn't want to have to worry about poking out someone's eye. Is adding wire the only way to keep them stable?
Found a picture of about the size I want, but longer
user posted image
PMEmailWebsite
^
Dewdrop
 Posted: 16th April 2015, 6:40 AM
Mischief Maker
Guests
14 posts
Joined 16.Feb.15
Texas

Posterboard is not a very stable base for wings. It's pretty good for a one time photo shoot, but that's it. It's very flimsy and if it gets wet, it's ruined. I use wire as the base for mine, with a larger gauge as the top/main wire in the structure and smaller gauges to create the veins. There are several wing makers out there who make very large dragonfly wings out of wire and cellophane/vinyl film.
My wings move just fine in the breeze, btw. Even the flimsiest of wings will poke people. It's a matter of just being aware of where they are and what you are doing. Navigating through a crowd takes practice with larger wings.
That last picture looks like it's from Fancy Fairy. She uses a cut metal/aluminum for her base. You can try posterboard, but I guarantee you to get the strength you need to keep your wings up, you will use so many layers that you might as well use wire.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Wings | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

©