Add Reply
New Poll

Wing Prevalence, How common do you like winged fae to be?

How common should winged fae be?
Across the Board: All fairies have wings. Elves and so forth are separate species. (Peter Pan) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Endemic: Wings are almost everywhere in fae (the Labyrinth Manga, where one fairy character lacks wings due to an injury) [ 1 ]  [6.25%]
Common: Winged fae are common, but the species has both kinds of members, and other features (horns, hooves, tails, scales, etc) are common as well (possibly the Dark Crystal's Gelflings when the species thrived, Holly Black's stories, etc) [ 15 ]  [93.75%]
Uncommon: Winged fae stand out in a crowd, but are about as unusual as left-handed people (Changeling: The Dreaming) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Rare: Winged fae are exotic and hard to find, and might only exist in small communities hidden even from the other fae (4th Edition D&D's pixies compared to the Eladrin) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Almost Unheard of: Winged fae are legendary among their kind, similar to sextuplets. (the Dark Crystal's present timeline) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Unique: Only one fairy has wings, others do not. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No Wings: Elves and other fae only, or fae fly without need of wings [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
Snapdragon
 Posted on 10th April 2015, 1:31 AM
Fairy Metamorph
Guests
31 posts
Joined 17.Feb.15
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States

In movies, TV, video games, and role-playing games, the prevalence of wings can vary.

What is your take on winged fae and their commonality?
PM
^
Echidna
 Posted on 28th April 2015, 2:22 PM
Nursery Rhyme
5 posts
Joined 26.Apr.15
Europe

I voted common, because we see small winged fairies among many other species, large and small, with other characteristics in stories.
However, it should be noted that many fae creatures can fly regardless of having wings.

Most eastern dragons for example don't have (visible) wings but fly no problem, some of them can even travel through space.
PMWebsite
^
Ashe
 Posted on 5th May 2015, 5:16 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

I voted for common. I believe that there are winged fairies, and a few fairies without wings. Wingless fairies may be due to different species. Fairy are just a small part of the creatures considered fae.
Although most people consider harpies such as myself a monster, my kind of harpy takes on a more winged elf kind of stance. Maybe I'm elven and maybe I have wings, but I'm definitely not a fairy. http://i.imgur.com/fcfBcpz.gif

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood faerie

Administrator Account - Have a question? Need some help?
Private message or email me!
PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted on 19th November 2015, 2:04 PM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
268 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

I also voted common. I believe that while there are plenty of the winged variety there are more than one type of species. With being of myth, lore, and magic I just don't think something as blanketed as ALL winged or NO wings could really be a peg-hole to consider.
QUOTE (Setorin @ 5th May 2015, 4:16 PM)
I believe that there are winged fairies, and a few fairies without wings. Wingless fairies may be due to different species. Fairy are just a small part of the creatures considered fae.

This is precisely it. You worded this beautifully Setorin. http://i.imgur.com/GpvxHxj.gif

--------------------
~~~ Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic ~~~

PMEmailWebsite
^
SarahFae
 Posted on 14th April 2016, 6:29 PM
Nursery Rhyme
10 posts
Joined 27.Mar.16
Oregon

I believe most fae have wings, normally fairies, sprites, pixies, and spirits. Maybe some elves are winged with angel-like wings... however mainly elves and trolls and fauns do not have wings, at least in my mind.
PM
^
Saelyyia
 Posted on 15th April 2016, 8:36 AM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
268 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

I'm actually reading a book series right now that has a take on it much like the dark crystal, but a bit different that I find interesting. In this world only the fae women have wings, but they are more an extension of themselves much like hair or pointed ears. They grow in at puberty essentially and they are just there to be beautiful. Neither male nor female can fly, but instead have extreme speed, strength, and agility that allows them to race acrobatically through the forests instead.

--------------------
~~~ Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic ~~~

PMEmailWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Blather & Babble | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

©