Add Reply
New Poll

Wing Veins And Paint?, What do you use for wing veins?
Nightshade
 Posted: 1st April 2016, 5:08 PM
Nursery Rhyme
21 posts
Joined 1.Apr.16
N/A

So I'm working on a set of cellophane wings and I'm wanting to make black vein designs on the inside as well as paint patterns inside. I have the wire and cellophane and I've experimented with a few different things. I made designs in permanent marker on the inside but they didn't show up as well depending on the reflection of the cellophane. I plan on purchasing a heat gun to shrink them to the veining so it'll have to hold up to the heat.

So what do you other fae use?
PM
^
Ashe
 Posted: 1st April 2016, 5:18 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

Well I haven't made wings yet so I can't share from experience... But have you ever used Tulip paints? There is a line that dries puffy (in varying degrees) that could be used if you want more dimension to compliment the wire frames. I've never used these with heat, so I'm not sure how that will work out. Experiment a little!

Maybe look into paints that are used on neoprene tails. You have to beat set most of them so they would definitely withstand your heat setting. The first one that comes to mind is Jacquard http://i.imgur.com/fcfBcpz.gif

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood faerie

Administrator Account - Have a question? Need some help?
Private message or email me!
PMEmail
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 1st April 2016, 6:48 PM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
268 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

Or perhaps airbrush the design onto the cellophane

--------------------
~~~ Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic ~~~

Administrator Account - Have a question? Need some help?
Private message or email me!
PMEmailWebsite
^
Nightshade
 Posted: 3rd April 2016, 1:33 PM
Nursery Rhyme
21 posts
Joined 1.Apr.16
N/A

Airbrushing sounds good, I have been wanting a little airbrush to do painting and/or makeup with but I don't know too much about it.

I'm thinking of trying some more wire testing tonight with black hockey tape, one with poster board, and possibly one with cardboard since I saw a lovely set of wings in the sites wing thread with cardboard inside. It's a bit tricky without the heat gun though, so the results may be a bit...rough.

EDIT:

Tried the hockey tape, it didn't give the look I wanted with varying thicknesses for veins and such. I changed adhesives though with far better results using the lighter. The spray adhesive I was using was flammable and made burning the cellophane that much easier.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Wings | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

©