New Poll

Professional Fairy Entertainers
Leafy the Fairy
 Posted: 10th November 2016, 11:58 AM
Nursery Rhyme
34 posts
Joined 22.Feb.16
WNY

Hello everyone I wanted to start an area for the professional fairies out there and what sort of events you do and how you started working. MerNetwork has a full section for professional mermaids so I thought it would be nice to have a little area for the other fae.
What types of jobs have you done?
How did you get those jobs? Did the planner find you or did you reach out to them?

Types of gigs:

Fairy birthday parties

Festival roaming entertainment

Renaissance Festival Entertainment

Fairy Tea Parties

Earth Day Celebrations

Fairy House Tour events

Feel free to add more or give examples of what you've done!

I'll start. Leafy the Fairy is less then a year old so I haven't gotten very much yet but the Rochester Ny area is very much into fairies thanks to a local author who wrote several children's stories about making fairy houses as well as photo books. This is from fairy houses.com
"A variety of “Fairy Houses Tours” have become a unique and dynamic link between The Fairy Houses Series® of books and many communities. They vary from simple community viewing of fairy houses to complete community involvement that includes schools, historical museums, parks organizations, gardening clubs and scout groups – to name just a few.
Most Tours have been community initiatives, where community members contacted author, Tracy Kane, to help organize or participate in the development and running of a tour."

One such event in my area was the Corn Hill Arts Festival Fairy House Tour and I was hired to be the fairy greeter. There was a section of the festival where festival goers viewed fairy houses that had been made by individuals, groups, businesses, or really anyone and people could vote for there favorite among other categories. My job was to greet the guests, sprinkle fairy dust, and take photos.

The other job I've done so far was a busking gig at the Lewiston Art Festival in Buffalo Ny. At this event I collected tips from festival guests for my tin whistle playing and posing for photos and of course giving out fairy dust. My mermaid is about 2 years old and so I've done a bit more with her.
PMWebsite
^
Leafy the Fairy
 Posted: 30th January 2017, 8:42 PM
Nursery Rhyme
34 posts
Joined 22.Feb.16
WNY

Fairy House season is coming! As I had mentioned before they are very popular in my area. A lot of the local towns will have garden walks and summer festivals that are adding fairy house sections. People can make a fairy house, enter them into the fairy house walk or tour and winners get a prize. The National Museum of Play hires me to do a lot of character work and decided to host the winners of our local fairy house tour as a special event and hired me to be the fairy guest!
PMWebsite
^
Pixiegirl
 Posted: 1st February 2017, 11:45 AM
Nursery Rhyme
11 posts
Joined 30.Jan.17
N/A

That is so cool. So you are a professional fairy then right? How did you go about getting started? I think that would be a really cool way to earn some extra money when I start college in the fall but I don't really know how to get started or anything.

--------------------
I believe in fairies!
PM
^
Leafy the Fairy
 Posted: 22nd February 2017, 9:52 PM
Nursery Rhyme
34 posts
Joined 22.Feb.16
WNY

QUOTE (Pixiegirl @ 1st February 2017, 6:45 PM)
That is so cool. So you are a professional fairy then right? How did you go about getting started? I think that would be a really cool way to earn some extra money when I start college in the fall but I don't really know how to get started or anything.

Yes I am a proffesional character entertainer as in I get paid to be a fairy, mermaid, and occasionally a princess. However it's just gigs here and there and not yet enougth for me to justify getting a business license. I live in Rochester Ny and as I had mentioned earlier we have a local author, Tracy Kane, who wrote kids books about making fairy houses and has photo books of various houses so we have a lot of fairy themed garden tours. At the Strong Museum of Play I get hired a lot for different events and in May they will have Tracy Kane and myself to meet kids and encourage them to go outside and play and build in nature. I was also just invited back to The Corn Hill Arts Festival where they have the largest fairy house tour in the area. Most of the surrounding villages and towns have garden walks and have been including fairy houses and garden shows may have them as well.

I do a lot of cold calling by just sending a quick email or pm on fb to organizations to let them know that I am here and available for hire with a nice photo attached. I've been in the local news on and off as both a fairy and mermaid and I always give my card to the photographer so that they know That I may be at an event but the character is mine. This is just so they don't assume the event planners didn't find a girl and provided a costume for a one time gig.

Besides that I don't do a lot of advertising but that's simply because I don't want to get too many bookings too far in advanced. I would hate to have to cancel due to possibly being pregnant since the husband and I are casually trying this year ( I'm hoping this year because I just turned 25 and only have one more year left on my parent's insurance , which is better then what I could get myself) so sorry I can't give better advice right now haha
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Activities | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

©