Kelly Fairy Wing Attempt!
Kelly
 Posted: 28th August 2016, 7:58 PM
Nursery Rhyme
5 posts
Joined 16.Feb.15
California

Good evening my fae friends!
I'm so excited to share my new project! I've been extremely inactive on this forum, but with my local Renaissance faire coming in October, I've decided to create my own character and sew my own costume this year! I'm going to be creating a costume using pieces from several costume patterns, along with my wings! I'm going to multiple costume pieces up until the faire and then just kinda put together different looks so I can just wing it(hehe punny) the day of the faire.
I'll post pictures in a bit so ya'll can see the craziness of my huge and extremely ambitious project for making my wings!
PM
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 28th August 2016, 9:03 PM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
268 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

Welcome back Kelly. I'm excited to see the progress you make with this because that is a pretty cool concept for creating fairy looks and characters.

--------------------
~~~ Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic ~~~

Administrator Account - Have a question? Need some help?
Private message or email me!
PMEmailWebsite
^
Kelly
 Posted: 28th August 2016, 9:40 PM
Nursery Rhyme
5 posts
Joined 16.Feb.15
California

Attached Image
Here is the idea of the wings I'm going to make!
I found 4 yards of some super iridescent organza fabric which I'm going to use as my first layer and then a layer of cellophane and to top it with some clear plastic table cloth material... If my mini test wings work out of course!

Attached 1 File(s)
PM
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 29th August 2016, 9:35 AM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
268 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

That is a pretty cool concept. How will you adhering the different layers to each other? and will the organza be completely sandwiched or do you plan to let is be like two sides of a coin and have the cellophane on one side and the fabric on the other?

--------------------

PMEmailWebsite
^
Kelly
 Posted: 29th August 2016, 7:29 PM
Nursery Rhyme
5 posts
Joined 16.Feb.15
California

QUOTE (Saelyyia @ 29th August 2016, 8:35 AM)
That is a pretty cool concept. How will you adhering the different layers to each other? and will the organza be completely sandwiched or do you plan to let is be like two sides of a coin and have the cellophane on one side and the fabric on the other?

I was going cover both sides with organza then cellophane and then the plastic. I'm still in testing phase, so I'm going to try spray adheasive or e6000 then shrink the cellophane and the plastic/vinyl.
PM
^
Ashe
 Posted: 29th August 2016, 7:53 PM
the feathered fae
Administrator
234 posts
Joined 12.Apr.15
Cali

What a gorgeous design! I can't tell you how much I love butterfly wings http://i.imgur.com/fcfBcpz.gif About how big will the final product be?

Also, be careful with what glue you use. I know that Nightshade had some issues concerning spray adhesive taking away some of the cellophane's sheen or not working at all (Fairy Wing Fail). Be sure to take protective measures when working with e6000, the stuff works like a charm but is on the toxic side ;)

I'm excited to see how all of the different layers work out, good luck! http://i.imgur.com/JsekN3Q.gif

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood faerie

PMEmail
^
Kelly
 Posted: 29th August 2016, 7:54 PM
Nursery Rhyme
5 posts
Joined 16.Feb.15
California

My mom is the best! She drew the wings out life size! Bad news though, I'm getting carpel tunnel in my dominant wrist/arm from using the computer too much. Good news is that I bought my wire from Home Depot. Going to be difficult to bend but it's 9 and 12 gauge galvanized wire, but it's really strong and will hold its shape which is good!

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image
PM
^
Saelyyia
 Posted: 29th August 2016, 9:24 PM
The Twilight Rose
Administrator
268 posts
Joined 5.Nov.15
Southern California

That is what I use and I have damaged tendons in both wrists. The trick is for rounded shapes that I have found is to find something along the general line you want and use your body weight to bed it by pulling the wire around the object.

--------------------

PMEmailWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Wings | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

©